Below you will find specific recommendations for your wound care needs. Always be sure to check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about how to properly care for your wound and/or about which products are appropriate.
Caring for Stitches and Surgical Incisions
Make sure to follow any instructions that your doctor or surgeon has given you in caring for your stitches or surgical incisions. The stitches or surgical incisions may be on you for some time depending on what your circumstances are. Treat the area with care, and follow these simple guidelines when caring for your wound:
- Avoid getting the area wet for the first 7 days.
- Make sure you change your bandage at least two times/day.
- Apply antibiotic ointment to the area after washing. Make sure to check with your doctor or surgeon about the type you should be using.
- Always look for signs of infection. Call your doctor immediately if any of the following signs occur:
- Swollen glands
- Swelling around the wound
- Red streaks leading from the wound
- Follow the doctor or surgeons advice on when to get the stitches or surgical incisions out, leaving them in too long can cause unnecessary scaring.
- For continued protection use a wound care dressing and tape. A covered wound heals more efficiently, has less of a chance for scarring and infection and enjoys superior protection. Please see below for our recommended wound care products for your needs.
Putting on a new dressing is as easy as 1,2,3
Step 1—Cover it
Select the appropriate primary cover from the recommendations above. The dressing should fully cover the area that needs to heal. Leave ½ inch of the cover extending beyond the wound to make sure the wound is covered properly.
Step 2—Roll it
Apply the recommended bandage over the cover to provide extra cushion and absorbency.
Step 3—Secure it
Use the recommended tape and wrap that was recommended that fits your needs for durability, skin sensitivity, and ease of removal. The right kind of tape comfortably holds your dressing in place.
For any questions or concerns on changing a dressing contact your doctor. Always follow any specific wound care instructions they have given you for your wound.
Have a Cut or Scrape?
BAND-AID® BRAND Adhesive Bandages have got you covered.
BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products WATERPROOF TAPE .5 in. x 10 yds.
- Extra strong and durable.
- Firmly secures dressings or bandages around the wound site.
- Stays on even when wet.
- Comes in an easy-to-use roll that keeps the tape clean.
BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products SURGIPAD® Surgical Dressings 5 in x 9 in
- Provide ideal protection and maximum absorbency for moderately-to-heavily draining wounds.
- Made with highly absorbent cellulose.
- Protect wounds from re-injury while the fabric facing effectively transfers fluid away from the wound.
- 12 Sterile Dressings (5 in x 9 in).