Below you will find specific recommendations for your wound care needs. Always be sure to check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about how to properly care for your wound and/or about which products are appropriate.
Wound Care for Cuts and Scrapes
Some small cuts or minor scrapes require only simple first aid measures. However, some require immediate professional medical treatment. Before treating any wound look for signs that may mean there is a need for professional medical treatment:
- Extensive bleeding
- Bone visible underneath skin
- Loss of movement near the area
- Swelling and redness in surrounding skin
If you are unsure of the severity of the wound, call your doctor immediately. Any wound can become contaminated and infected.
Clean, Treat, Protect…
If the cut or scrape is minor and does not need professional medical help, use the BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products recommended 3-step process to Clean, Treat, and Protect:
Clean the injured area to remove any dirt or debris. Ensure open skin area is thoroughly cleaned using sterile gauze pads such as BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products Gauze Pads which are the thickest and most absorbent pads.
Treat the wound with an antibiotic ointment to help prevent the wound from becoming infected. Always look for signs of infection which include:
- Swollen glands
- Swelling around the wound
- Red streaks leading from the wound
If any of these signs appear, call your doctor immediately.
Protect the area completely with a wound care dressing and a tape. A covered wound heals more efficiently, has less of a chance for scarring and infection, and enjoys superior protection. Please see below for our recommended wound care products:
Putting on a new dressing is as easy as 1,2,3
Step 1—Cover it
Select the appropriate primary cover from the recommendations above. The dressing should fully cover the area that needs to heal. Leave ½ inch of the cover extending beyond the wound to make sure the wound is covered properly.
Step 2—Roll it
Apply the recommended bandage over the cover to provide extra cushion and absorbency.
Step 3—Secure it
Use the recommended tape and wrap that fits your needs for durability, skin sensitivity, and ease of removal. The right kind of tape comfortably holds your dressing in place.
For any questions or concerns on changing a dressing contact your doctor. Always follow any specific wound care instructions they have given you for your wound.
BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products Gauze Pads 2 in. x 2 in.
- Ideal for minor cuts, scrapes and burns.
- Extra thick and absorbent.
- Low-lint design to help prevent irritation.
- Contains 16 layers of pillow-soft cushioning.
- QUICK-LOC® Technology with anti-leak core.
- Available in 3 in x 3 in or 4 in x 4 in.
BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products Rolled Gauze 2 in. x 2.5 yds
- Ideal for securing Gauze Pads or Non-Stick Pads.
- Provides freedom of movement while remaining securely wrapped.
- Pillow-soft padding and instant absorption.
- Can be used as a primary dressing.
- Available in 3 in x 2.5 yds or 4 in x 2.5 yds.
BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products Paper Tape 1 in. x 10 yds
- Perfect for securing wound dressings to sensitive skin.
- Ideal for times when frequent dressing changes are required.
- Gentle and easy to remove.
- Not made with natural rubber latex.
- Dermatologically tested for sensitive skin.