Skip to main content

Insect Stings

CAUTION

In highly sensitive or allergic persons, do not wait for symptoms to appear. Call 911  or your local emergency services immediately.

Symptoms

Signs of allergic reaction may include: nausea; severe swelling; breathing difficulties; bluish face, lips and fingernails; shock or unconsciousness.

Treatment

  1. Wash with soap and cold water. Remove stinger or venom sac with tweezers or by gently scraping with fingernail. DO NOT use your mouth or teeth.
  2. For multiple stings, soak affected area in cool bath. Add one tablespoon of baking soda per quart of water.
  3. Apply hydrocortisone (1%) cream to the affected area as directed on the package.