Skip to main content

Shock

ALERT

Shock is a dangerous condition and can be fatal. Expect some degree of shock in any emergency. DO NOT give anything by mouth.

Shock may occur when there is a disturbance in blood circulation that can upset all bodily functions.

Symptoms

May include: Unusual weakness or faintness; cold, pale, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; shallow, irregular breathing; chills; nausea; unconsciousness.

Treatment

  1. Call 911 or your local EMS and don’t move the victim or give him or her anything by mouth.
  2. If the victim has traumatic shock (for example, has been hit by a bus), DO NOT turn head, as the victim’s neck might be broken.
  3. Maintain an open airway. If victim vomits, gently turn head to side.
  4. Keep victim warm and lying flat.
Save on products you love with printable coupons & offers!